Zaytinya

Zaytinya is a Greek Tapas restaurant that was recommended to me by two different people in the same week- so I had to go check it out. This modernized Greek restaurant is located in China Town, and is always bustling with people. They have small slightly over priced (but worth it) plates of a variety of unique vegetable, meat, and seafood dishes.

The attentive waiters immediately brought the fresh, and most importantly free, pita bread to the table. The pita was warm and puffed up because it just came out of the oven, and it was absolutely divine. I think I had a good two baskets of the bread by myself. For dinner, I ordered two different dishes. I had the Kabak Köftesi, which are squash and golden raisin fritters with a walnut pistachio sauce. The dish came with four of the veggie fritters, and they were very tasty. The raisins on the inside gave the squash a nice burst of sweetness. I also ordered the Adana Kebab which was skewered lamb with roast tomatoes and sauteed onions. The lamb was shaped like a sausage, and had red pepper flakes inside which made it spicy. Delicious! The two little tapas were enough for a dinner, along with the baskets of bread, and Zaytinya is definitely worth the trip.

Sadly, I did not get photos, but I promise this place is worth the buzz.

Update (with photos!)
Fresh Complimentary Pita
I recently revisited Zaytinya, and it was even more fabulous than the last time. We ordered a Tzatziki, a yogurt and cucumber dipping sauce, for the table.
Tzatziki (yogurt & cucumber) Sauce
I ordered the special (which I sincerely hope they add to the menu permanently!) which was crispy brussel sprouts. The brussel sprouts were lightly fried and mixed with red pepper flakes and a garlic yogurt sauce. They were to die for. I also ordered the braised short ribs in a spiced tomato stew. The meat was so tender it melted in your mouth. The sauce was a perfect compliment. I was tempted to lick the plate clean!
Crispy Brussel Sprouts with a Garlic Yogurt Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment